When you think of the word ‘fashion’, what typically comes to your mind? Is it stylish runway shows? Your dream wardrobe? Well-known designers? While everyone interprets fashion differently, there is one aspect that remains unchanged—it’s so much more than just pieces of clothing. Fashion is a way to express ourselves, build confidence, and overall improve our mental health. So, if life has gotten in the way of building your style into your 40’s and beyond, it’s time to embrace the power of fashion—and we’re going to tell you how!
The importance of fashion
Many people think of clothing merely as items we dress in the mornings to get ready for the day, but fashion is a blend of function, art, self-expression, and even communication. The outfits we dress in every day reflect how we’re feeling internally and how we view ourselves and want others to view us. For example, if it’s raining and you’re feeling under the weather, you may opt to wear something cozy to comfort you throughout the day and act as protection from the outside world. If the sun is shining and you’re excited about the plans you have in store for the day, you’ll dress in something bright that you can feel confident in. It’s proven that the color of clothing impacts our mood from feeling fierce in reds to tranquil in blues.
As women over 40, we’re typically fairly confident in our lives, but self-esteem can suffer as we start to notice more prominent signs of aging (in fact, studies have shown that women are their most confident at age 60!) But whether you’re struggling with self-esteem issues at 40 or 70, dressing how you want is always a sure way to help boost your self-confidence. It’s so common for women to put their own needs (including fashion) on the back burner because other priorities have taken precedence. But as we get older, we have more time to put ourselves back into focus and focus on what makes us feel good.
Tips for embracing your own personal fashion after 40
Now that you understand why fashion is so important for our mental health, let’s talk about how we can embrace it in our own individual lives. Always remember that the first step to re-inventing your sense of style is to think about your values and align with brands that focus on the same things you do. This will help you dress in clothing and buy into services that you can feel good about supporting.
Focus on your own personal style, not trends
Fashion should always encompass your lifestyle, personal tastes, and what you feel best in. There is no need to play into the latest trends or buy something just because you’ve been seeing it all over social media. Many trending items are of lower quality, not sourced sustainably, and can even lessen our confidence if we’re not used to wearing them. Instead, focus on high-quality items that are timeless and will never go out of style. Our customers love our best-selling Tiburon Tunic Icon because it can be worn season after season paired with so many different bottoms and is a stylish basic that will never go out of style. Plus, it’s available in a wide selection of colors so you can rock it whether you’re feeling bright or muted. If shorter tops are more your thing, check out our Wear Anywhere Shirt It’s a classic that doesn’t sacrifice style or versatility. We also recommend a staple cardigan like our Go To Cardigan that can be paired with many different outfit combinations at the office, at home, or even out to a dinner date. Once you fill your closet with timeless staples, then you can choose what trendier items you’d like to add to your collection that make you feel good.
Make comfort a priority
Have you ever put on an outfit that you love in theory but once it’s on, it makes you feel out of your element and uncomfortable? We’ve all been there– which is why comfort should be a priority in every woman’s closet. But being comfortable doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style! Here at Stella Carakasi, we create garments that make you feel good inside and out, as our focus is on sustainable pieces that are flattering, stylish, and comfortable.
- Our Lounge Dress Pants are in a league of their own when it comes to versatility and comfort. They’re made from an eco-friendly Tencel® Ponte knit material that allows you to move seamlessly from the office to the yoga studio (yes, really!) They are easy fitting, flatter most body shapes, and can be paired with endless tops.
- Speaking of comfortable pants, if slimmer silhouettes are more your thing, make sure to check out the Slimming Ankle Pants. They’re crafted with the same Tencel® Ponte knit as the Lounge Dress Pants but feature slimming style lines to flatter and show off your curves in all the right places!
- Every woman needs a versatile denim top to run errands in or wear to lunch with girlfriends. Our Prime Time Tunic is the perfect combination of comfort and timeless style as the silhouette allows for graceful movement. We love wearing this top with our Slimming Ankle Pants.
- Looking for a comfortable top to pair with jeans or leggings? Check out the New Mood Top , our easy-to-wear, dolman-sleeved, printed jersey top. It’s softly gathered sleeve treatment gives this wardrobe staple some added style. Wear it all day– from work to play with ease. It’s super soft and can be worn throughout the year.
- If you’re in search of the perfect alternative to your typical pair of jeans, you’ve come to the right place. The City Pants are made with sustainable Tencel® denim and boast a wide-leg, cropped silhouette for extreme comfort. They pair well with cardigans, tunics, or button-up tops.
Remember that fashion can be more than just clothing
Feeling confident in yourself is more than just the clothing we dress in. It’s also about all the choices we make daily and the activities we do to make ourselves feel good.
From the food we put into our bodies, to how we get moving, to the makeup we use, to what we watch on screen, and even the way we decorate our homes—every choice we make has an impact on the way we think and how we feel and fashion is just one of those choices! Check out our Looks We Love page for the start of our fall fashion inspiration that is comfortable, sustainable, and versatile.