With summer rolling around, it’s time to start thinking about how we’re going to update our closets for the new season. If you’re ready to create a clothing collection that will save you money, last you season over season, and is sustainable, it’s time to create a capsule wardrobe. Read on to learn more about capsule wardrobes and how you can start one for yourself!
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
The term capsule wardrobe has actually been around since the 1940’s. It refers to a small, concise collection of clothing and accessories that can be worn together in many different ways. In the 70’s, capsule wardrobes were popularized again by Susie Faux who was the owner of the London boutique, “Wardrobe.” When Susie and her boutique brought capsule wardrobes back on the scene again, they described it as owning a few key garments that never go out of style and can be mixed and matched together to create many different outfits. These key pieces include trousers, cardigans a classic white shirt, and more. After Susie Faux made this idea popular again, the famous American designer, Donna Karan, brought capsule wardrobes to America with a collection of interchangeable clothing and the rest was history!
You may be thinking to yourself, “what are the benefits of creating a capsule wardrobe?” And trust us, there are several!
- Capsule wardrobes are sustainable and good for the environment because they help cut down on overconsumption of clothing. With fast fashion, many of us are used to purchasing brand new wardrobes each season because the garments we bought last year are out of style or are worn out due to low quality. With a capsule wardrobe, you’re investing in clothing items that are timeless and have the quality to withstand season after season.
- With a capsule wardrobe, you have more room in your closet. Typically, capsule wardrobes only consist of about 10-20 articles of clothing, so you don’t have to worry about a disorganized closet that’s busting at the seams!
- Because you know what your key pieces are and you don’t have to go sifting through dozens of garments, capsule wardrobes make getting dressed easier in the morning. There’s nothing worse than staring at your closet for 20 minutes because you’re not sure what to wear. With a capsule wardrobe, you know what items you have, and you can easily put together an outfit because all of styles work with each other!
- Last but certainly not least, with a capsule wardrobe, you save mega $$$. Gone are the days when you have to shop for every new season or feel like you have nothing to wear. Capsule wardrobes can be updated for every season by simply adding a few additional clothing items like a jacket or sweater instead of having to shop for a new closet entirely! Plus, when creating a capsule wardrobe, you’ll want to invest in quality pieces that will last you a long time instead of having to continuously buy from cheap, fast fashion companies.
How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe
When creating a capsule wardrobe, there are a few key things that you want to think about.
1. Choose Your Colors Wisely
With capsule wardrobes, it’s all about the colors that you choose. Your number one priority is that you choose shades that are going to be able to match each other to create many different outfits. When you’re starting out, most people will choose a base color of either black or navy. Some people even use a shade of brown depending on their personal taste. The purpose of this base color is to build off of it and choose other accents garments that will coordinate with it. After choosing your base color, then you can dive into other shades that will match such as whites, creams, tans, grays, and the occasional pop color, etc. You always want to keep the idea of mixing and matching in your mind when buying your clothing pieces.
2. Pick Garments That Work for Your Lifestyle
Speaking of clothing items, let’s get into what garments you’ll need in your wardrobe. The first thing to consider is what is your lifestyle like? What kind of work do you do? Are you required to be in an office with a dress code or do you work from home? Do you participate in exercise or outdoor activities frequently? Do you go on dates or out to lunch/dinner frequently? All these questions and more can help you decide what types of items you should incorporate into your capsule wardrobe. Here is a list to get you started with ideas:
- Pencil skirts
- Button-up shirts
- Black dresses
- Trench coat
- Denim shirt
- Leather jacket
Keep in mind that you don’t need all of these pieces in your closet, just the ones that make sense for your lifestyle and personal taste!
3. Don’t Forget the Accessories!
Once you choose your clothing items, it’s time to find the right shoes and accessories. Again, think of your lifestyle and what works for you. Some key pieces for most people include:
- A small crossbody handbag
- A larger tote bag
- A pair of heels
- Classy flats
- A classic scarf
- An everyday necklace
Again, base your shoes and accessories off your preferences and what will makes sense for your day-to-day activities.
Pieces You Need in You Capsule Wardrobe
White Button-Up Tunic Top
The Stella Carakasi Prime Time Tunic is the perfect addition to your capsule collection because it matches with so many different garments and can be worn casually or dressed up! Plus, it’s available in black or soft white to coordinate with almost anything.
Looking for a simple yet modern t-shirt to add to your closet? Look no further than our Bateau Neck Top. This comfortable yet timeless top in organic cotton will go with any trousers, skirts, leggings, jackets, or accessories that you have in your wardrobe.
There’s nothing more versatile than a good pair of sandals. We love these Coclico leather Kotara Strappy Sandals they are perfect to grab for your capsule wardrobe because they can pair with almost anything whether you’re heading into the office or grabbing drinks with your girlfriends!
At Stella Carakasi we’re firm believers in paying attention to the details—from fabric choices to all the construction details, from style lines and how a garment fits on various body types and sizes. It’s the culmination of these details that help create your favorite styles. That’s why we always strive to design multi-functional pieces that work, day after day, season after season.
Discover sustainable, eco-friendly fashion that fits your body & your values.
For more inspiration visit our Looks We Love Page, showing you that it only takes a few timeless, super mixable styles to create a wide variety of fresh looks.